Best Practice – An Overview
You should aim to implement best practice for all your employees, whether they are a person with a disability or not.
In relation to employing people with disabilities, best practice includes:
- providing disability awareness training,
- ensuring premises are accessible ,
- providing accessible technologies ,
- ensuring that company policies are inclusive and accessible (Handbook, PEEP / Health and Safety),and
- recruiting a diverse and inclusive workforce.
There are no current specific accreditations or awards in Ireland nor is there a legislative code of practice specific to employing persons with disabilities. (National Disability Authority, January 2016.)