What are my Responsibilities and what should I consider as an employer?
- Follow the relevant Acts and laws including the Employment Equality Act.
- Do not discriminate on the basis of disability.
- Provide reasonable accommodations as appropriate.
- Focus on people’s capacity to do the job, where they have appropriate supports.
- Have written policies on inclusive recruitment and disclosure of disability. Include the steps you will take as an employer to support employees with acquired disabilities and state how you can help them to return and remain in work.
- Develop a PEEP (Personal Emergency Egress Plan).
- Educate your workforce.
- Ensure employees are not harassed because of their disability.