How do I manage reasonable accommodations at work?
Ask the Person! Get assistance from specialist organisations and contact us for further information.
Accommodations should be made on a case-by-case basis and involve discussions between the employer and employee or applicant.
Assess the impact of the disability and decide where there may be limitations in performing the essential functions of the job. The person with a disability is the expert and knows how their disability will impact on them, if at all, in the workplace.
Identify the employee’s workplace accommodation needs by:
- Involving the employee who has the disability in every step of the process.
- Exploring ways of providing workplace accommodations.
- Using job descriptions and job profiles to analyse essential functions of the job.
- Consulting with the individual to ascertain the precise job-related functional limitations and how these could be overcome with potential accommodations.
- Deciding if and how co-workers who may be affected by any of the proposed accommodations will be informed.
- Consulting with rehabilitation professionals where necessary.
Select and implement the most reasonable and effective accommodation that is also the most appropriate for the employee and employer. Remember: Accommodations selected should be effective, reliable, easy to use, and readily available for the employee needing the accommodation.
An employee with a disability and their line manager should review such accommodations at regular intervals. Over time, special provisions may no longer be needed or requirements may change. An employee should advise their line manager of any changes that are needed.
Provide follow-up, if needed, by: modifying the accommodation if necessary; repeating the steps outlined above if appropriate.
As an employer, you are not obliged to provide employees with equipment they would normally provide themselves – for example, reading glasses or hearing aids.
Contact us with your questions or queries on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01-6762014